Feb 13, 2010

Reflecting back...

In our relationship history, we always celebrated Valentine's Day on 2/13. We felt it was a good day, since our anniversary is a 13th and we never had to deal with crowds with whatever we wanted to do on our V-day. So, in ode to Our 8th Valentine's day together, I give you, our story.

How it began
We met our freshman year at college in 2001. He was roommates with a new friend of mine and we kept hearing about this elusive roommate. Finally, as bad as this sounds, I begun snooping in his desk drawer. I wanted to find out more besides the fact, he likes pretty girls on cars and has a guitar. Well, the desk drawer provided the clue he liked gum, had an old cell phone, and prefers mechanical pencils. As I was sifting through the items, Kyle walked in. I remembered thinking he was cute and OH CRAP SHUT THE DRAWER! 

He remembers that meeting clear as a bell down to what day, time and what I was wearing. He did not remember I was snooping, a habit I still have. Our run-ins with Kyle were pretty short and brief. I could tell he wanted to hang out with us, but he did need to work on his social skills a bit. Along with being cute, I thought he was a bit odd. Who doesn't talk?

Shortly after our first meeting, I begun seeing another guy. As the year continued, Kyle's ability to form words into sentences improved and so did our friendship. It was over summer that my friendship with Kyle grew into something amazing and my relationship with this other guy wasn't doing so hot. Kyle was my support system and even drove down twice (8hr drive one way) to see me. He was the most considerate, kind hearted, and funniest person I knew. 

During the last week of the summer, before we needed to head back to college, we planned on going to Warped Tour. OH we were so young then. lol. It was us, his friend Dave (the best man), my friend Stacy (one of bridesmaids) and the fella I was dating. Well, the fella I was dating stood me up. It worked out, because it was during this concert I realized I liked Kyle a-whole-lot. I think it really hit me when he saved me from a moshpit during a New Found Glory performance. Doesn't that just sound intense?

Anywho, summer ended and we went back to school. I broke up with the fella and made it my personal endeavor to date the ever so awesome Kyle. It was during this time I realized Kyle is not quick to pick up hints. Infact, this part of our relationship shows who we are. Kyle, not so quick, but always happy to just be and JR, persistent and determined. He eventually realized, after a frustrating discussion with me trying to tell him I liked him, that we needed to date. SO on 9/13/02, he asked me out. 

Here is a picture days before the dating began and one of the day we were an official couple!

*Sorry picture quality is crud. We don't have a scanner, so I took a picture of the pictures*
Weren't we cute?
Seven years later and still together. Next up is the proposal!

No comments:

Post a Comment